Friday, May 19, 2006

Pre-race jitters

May 18, 2006

A week ago I was already getting those pre-race anticipation jitters. It’s a feeling that is thrilling and unsettling at the same time, somewhat like teenage angst over the one you have a crush on, who is now sitting right next to you. Your palms get sweaty and your heart quickens, and you hope you don’t do anything stupid... this is how racing is for me.

My race this weekend, 3000 miles away in NJ, necessitates three large pieces of luggage, including a bike box that I can send for free using my nifty United Airlines / USA Cycling travel voucher. I suddenly love United Airlines.

I sat in the departure lounge at the San Diego airport awaiting the red-eye to Philadelphia, thinking that check-in was almost too easy. It turns out the whole trip has been mostly pain-free. So smooth, in fact, that I suspect Higher Powers are at work on my behalf. Once again I’ll have to call my parents and thank them for praying for me.

In fact, with three races in the next three weeks, they better step it up.

No comments: